May 11, 2006

Driving Concentration

When I first started driving I had an old MGB Roadster (known as Summer). It was a spartan driving experience the height of luxury being a heater that had only two settings off and BURN YOU TO DEATH!

My driving was probably at its best when I drove Summer, I kept my temper better, drove more defensively and was generally more considerate.

When I started racking up the motorway miles I got a new car. It was a lovely little Ford Puma (known as Sue). It was immensely more reliable and more luxurious.

However it was with Sue that my driving started to disimprove.

My concentration became worse, I failed to anticipate and, when something happened unexpectedly, I was more inclined to lose my temper. I came to realise that something needed to be done, so I thought about it and finally came to a conclusion.

It was the CD/Radio.

In dear old rackety Summer, there was no point to putting a radio in as I wouldn't have been able to hear it above the engine and the noises of the world outside. I was forced to keep all my concentration on my driving and the environment around me. With Sue the radio almost automatically went on and my concentration drifted. I've now taken to turning the radio off and my driving is beginning to return to the quality that it enjoyed before my fall from grace.

No comments: