March 29, 2006

The Real Questions.

I've been watching the various manoeuverings going on in parliament to change various aspects of the balance between the legal system and the political system in this country.

When misgivings are raised, the politicians always seem to justify their actions on two bases:

  • It is necessary because the current system is unwieldy/expensive.
  • Don't you trust us/me?

The real questions that should be asked of the politicians are:

  • Whether I trust you or not is irrelevant. Can I trust your successors? Can you guarantee that the 2nd, 3rd or 4th set of politicians to be voted in won't abuse the powers that you are giving them?
  • Don't you think it is worth the inconvenience/expense in order to guarantee a reasonable level of freedom from oppression?

I wonder whether we will ever see these questions posed clearly, well and in a situation where the politician is forced to answer.

No comments: