February 28, 2005

New found liking for dessert wines.

I have just had a bit of an education...

I've just spent a weekend on the Isle of Wight with my sister; Saturday afternoon was spent sharing a significant part of my whisky collection with some old friends. Chris (who happens to be a very talented musician) returned my collection of CDs that I accumulated on my '03 roadtrip and told me how much he had enjoyed 'Los Hombres Calientes'. I'd forgotten that those CDs were in that particular part of my collection, but was very please to know that they had given him so much pleasure.

After a couple of hours drinking whisky, we drifted across into discussing wines. I stated that I had never come across a dessert wine that I liked, with the honourable exception of the occasional Italian Vinsanto. I declared that they were all too sweet and sickly.

Rather well lubricated by this stage, Chris returned with a wax-sealed bottle and introduced me to 'Royal Tokay'. I had heard of 'Tokay' before, but today was the day when I discovered that it was a tiny wine producer in Hungary, costing £30 for an half bottle of the 'Royal Tokay'. I'm not a wine writer so I won't even try to describe what it tasted like; but after cleansing my palate with a little water, I enjoyed one of the finest flavours that it has been my pleasure to experience.

I am now on the look out for Tokay, and I want to try the 'Imperial'.

No comments: