January 28, 2005

Motorway Driving.

With my current contract, I'm having to do a lot of motorway miles, to and from work. I tend to odd hours and so tend to avoid the worst of rush hour. However there are a few things that I need to get off my chest...

I hate:
  • Under-takers - Not the sombre men that come to take away granny, but the fast furious drivers that come up inside lanes past a queue of cars. When they get to the slower moving obstacle in their lane that has caused the stack of cars in the outer lanes, they force their way back out causing everyone else to brake.
  • Underpowered White Van Men - White Van man is an acknowledged hazard of modern driving, but in his way he is predictable and possible to get along with. The only one I have any problems with are the ones with heavy loads and small engines. They zoom downhill in the outside lane at 80 mph. I have no problems with them zooming, it's when they go uphill and they use that brief spell of 80mph to justify remaining in the outside lane as they crawl uphill at 60 mph or below.
  • Sticky Drivers - I define a sticky driver as someone who stays in a lane regardless of whether the inner lane is empty. They are the cause of a lot of dangerous driving, either because a marginally faster driver is forced to overtake them, or because a significantly faster driver is forced to undertake them, or (worst of all) an impatient driver trying to persuade them to move drives right up their backside.

There are many minor irritations on the roads; roadworks, speed cameras and potholes; but it seems to be a constant that other road users cause the most irritation.


1 comment: