January 20, 2005

First impression of OptimalJ

Well, I've been using OptimalJ 3.2 for 4 days now and I can say that my first impression is 'stability' or more to the point the lack of it.

Part of the problem is that it is based on 3.5 of Netbeans, which was never noted for it's fabulous robustness, but a large amount of the instabilities that I have encountered are in the OptimalJ functionality. This is a tool that promises to give great productivity enhancements, but to be honest they have all been soaked up by the time spent trying to work around the issues.

This instability reflects on an idea that I've been kicking around for some little time now. The limits of complexity that can be achieved in a piece of software. The improvements in development; assembler, functional programming, procedural programming, object orientation, UML etc.; have all increased the complexity of software that can be produced.

I get the feeling with OptimalJ that this particular software is pushing the complexity limits of the development processes used to produce it.

No comments: