June 29, 2007

Twice Cooked Lamb

I decided to cook up some leg of lamb the other day and inspired by the way that hams are made I did a two part cooking process: Poaching the lamb before roasting it.

I poached the leg of lamb for about 2 hours in a liquor made up of:
  • Enough lamb and vegetable stock to cover the leg.
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
  • A cup of good quality red wine vinegar
  • A bouquet garni, made up of thyme, bay, marjoram and rosemary
  • 10 or so whole black peppercorns
I turned the lamb over about half way.

I then took the lamb out of the poaching liquor and placed it in a baking tray. I poured a little teriyaki and sunflower oil over the lamb before putting it in an hot oven (200c) for about half an hour.

Skim and boil the poaching liquor down to about a third to one half of it's original volume, allow to cool a little before tossing in some chopped mint.

Serve sliced with steamed vegetables and the starch of your choice - I like brown rice or quinoa - pouring the liquor and mint combination over.

The lamb will not be 'pink' in the modern idiom, but will be tender and very delicious.

No comments: