December 08, 2006

George the Rock Python.

After some positive responses to the family anecdotes about Dulce de Leche, I though that I might share another one.

My father's family certainly accumulated a fair share of these anecdotes. My grandfather kept some quite interesting pets: George an Indian Rock Python and his old friend Albert the Mongoose.

Albert and George were good friends despite their natural instincts. Many was the time that George would be seen asleep in a sunlit place with Albert asleep on top of him.

Next door to my grandfather lived a retired British India Army colonel (my father always referred to him as a 'Boom-Puna' British India Army Colonel). He and his wife had returned to England and had settled into a contented if liverish life filled mainly by complaining how much worse off they were in England. He was a bit of a drinker; my father at the age of 12 delivered a message to him and was offered a gin and tonic.

Soon after moving in, my grandfather (who had an evil sense of humour) bribed my father to take George and deposit him on the colonel's front lawn. He was told to hide in the hedge to keep an eye on George and to report the reaction back faithfully.

With a certain amount of effort (as my father was only a boy at the time and George was a big snake - 12 feet or so), George was deposited on the lawn. My father retired to the nearby privet hedge and, having made himself comfortable, awaited the colonel's arrival with interest.

Soon after the colonel strode out of his front door to take his morning constitutional and found himself confronted by George who was just stirring sluggishly in the morning sun.

He froze for nearly a minute and paled dramatically before rushing back into the house crying 'Maud! Maud draw a cold bath! I've got the DTs again!'

No comments: