July 09, 2005

Chilidish Men? Or Childish Women?

I'm sure that the women in my life will give me a lot of grief for this entry, but here goes...

I'm a contentedly childish man, I like my toys, I like cartoons; generally I like having the time to play from time to time. When I have to be I can be as adult as necessary, dealing with difficult things in personal or professional life.

What I have noticed over the years is a certain undercurrent in our society where certain of the feminine elements belittle men because of the very form of childishness that I acknowledge in myself. Expressions such as 'He's such a big kid.' or 'Boys and their toys...' are a mild form of this.

I have started to wonder however whether women are any more grown up than men. I think that they are just better at public relations.

When a boy is playing with toy cars and guns he is being childish, when a girl is playing with dolls, makeup and dressing up they are preparing for adulthood.

This transfers forward to later life, when women spends hours trying on different outfits or being pampered at a beauticians - that is adult. I wonder whether are really just reverting to childhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as one of the women in your life I definitely will not give you a hard time on this.

I think that both genders need their down time and at least one luxury in their lives.

As James so rightly says - play time can certainly relieve the stress!